Saturday, August 20, 2011

My 27th Birthday.

I decided to spend my birthday in site, even though I was coming back from a training and there were lots of volunteers in the city who were going out celebrating.  My host family and boyfriend were making a bigger deal out of my birthday then I was.  Edgar had a countdown.  So I felt like since it wasn’t a big deal to me, but it was to them, I would spend my time with them.

The morning of my birthday I got lots of hugs and birthday wishes.  They kept asking me what animal I wanted them to kill for my special birthday lunch.  I asked them to just pretend it was a normal day and I did not want anything special.  But, my host mom had already killed one of her hens that morning for me.  She said it even had eggs in side so it was like a special hen, my breakfast and lunch all in one.  How disgusting right?!?! 

I got tons of text message from Edgar all day, even though he was right down the street.  He looks at each holiday or birthday or whatever we spend together as a really big deal.  So I thought it was sweet and had plans with him later that night. 

I treated the day like normal, went and did my laundry and normal chores.  It was really funny, they wanted to know the exact time I was born.  So when that time came around, I was outside hanging my laundry and my host sister and host mom coming running out and were really disappointed I was doing laundry at the exact time I was born.

Later, I went and talked to my Dad for awhile on the phone. It was around lunch time.  I felt really bad because when I got back to the house, I found out that everyone had been there waiting for me to celebrate my birthday lunch, but I took to long that they all went ahead and ate without me.  So I ate my HUGE cold plate alone.  She made me noodles, with chicken, potatoes with a sauce I love, and this beet, carrot, salad I like too.  So I ate the chicken, potatoes, and beet salad, but they were really upset with me when I didn’t eat all the noodles.  They always do this to me, I always eat the more nutritious stuff on my plate and leave behind the noodles or rice and they tell me I don’t eat enough.  When you have rice with every meal it comes to the point where enough is enough and I reached that point months ago. 

Later that night, I got all prettied up and went to the police station to hang out with Edgar.  I had to lie to my family and say we were going to another party, that we weren’t, in order to get a little more time to hang out with him.  Usually I try and be respectful and come back to the house between 10 and 10:30 because our front door locks from the inside and I feel guilty waking them up to get in the house.  But it was my birthday and the weekend, so they didn’t care about me coming in late.  So I went to see what Edgar had planned.  He was so excited, he had gone and bought us dinner from someone who was cooking on the street.  The chicken when they cook out like that is so good, so I was really excited.  So we had our little dinner just the two of us.  He gave me a gift and a sweet card.  One of the kids of one of my health promoters came by with a gift too, it was a cute jewelry box. 

Overall, it was a very simple and quiet birthday.  But I really enjoyed it.  The only thing that could have made it better would have been a smith island or cheesecake.  But I will just have to wait until my 29th birthday when I am home to get that. 

No comments: