Wednesday, September 22, 2010

No Roosters...but Trembolas instead!!


So this morning I wasn't awakened by the normal rooster that has been driving me crazy, instead it was my family calling my name because we were experiences "trembolas"...which are tremors. Apparently they have those from time to time, not really any full blown earthquakes, I was sort of sleeping through it, but I could here the rocks falling the mountains around me and the dogs were going crazy. The only advantage to all of this, was that is screwed the rooster up and it didn't mess with me this morning!


So the past few days have been difficult for me, when you look around at the other volunteers you can tell we are all becoming a little drained. Our technical trainers has described these intense emotions and stress as extreme culture shock that we are all dealing with right now. You don't consider what emotions come to light when you are suddenly thrown in a life so incredibly different then your previous. I know I literally get headaches from working on my spanish. It will be nice when I am able to just start thinking in Spanish and it won't be so challenging to constantly be translating. And the best way to describe the rest of it is like when you are going through a break up and your body and heart ache and you feel like there is no end in sight. But I know very well with time it all passes and you heal. This is very similar to where I'm at now, and I know that there will be a point I'm looking back at all of this from a better side. One day at a time.
Tonight, in order to stay "distracted" I went to a volleyball game of another volunteer's host sister. It was interesting! Once it was time for the game a group of kids came out and literally chalked the lines in for the court. Everything is very informal, but they are all having so much fun. After the volleyball game, Carmen, also had a futbol game so we watched that too. There were so many kids hanging out, and many of them were blaring american music, I have heard so much eminem, lady gaga, and even some justin beiber tonight. It's so funny watching them sing to it, because they think they know the words and some of them you can tell don't at all. Even though I LOVE all the latin music that many of the families play in my neighborhood, it's great to hear them blaring some american too.

1 comment:

Hakujay Matope said...

Jillian, I am soooooooo proud of you! Your blogs are really interesting. I feel like I am reading a book! This experience will change your life forever and trust me, I know what it's like to be so far away from your family. You are an amazing girl and you will go on to do amazing things. God will truly bless you for taking 2 years of your life to help those in need. It really takes a strong person to venture far from home! I am so proud to have you as my friend and I hope that we will keep in touch!
Adios Omigo!
Love Hakujay