Saturday, September 25, 2010

Michael Jackson is alive in Peru!


The past two days have been very exciting. On Thursday we were split into partners and given a Mission Impossible. Mine was to travel to the next town over called Chosica, and to talk to a police officer about their role in the community. This was exciting because we haven't really been outside of the neighborhoods we live in, nor the training center.


Going to Chosica consists of a "combi" ride, which are small buses or large vans, that barely come to a complete stop when they come to pick you up and drive like maniacs and constantly racing each other through the streets. So a few of us who had assignments got together to take a combi to Chosica. Chosica is a much bigger town the the one I'm living in, many stores and open markets, it was really exciting. We saw the other water and sanitation and environmental volunteers that make up Peru 16 who are staying at another training center. It was nice to catch up with them and to see fellow "gringos" wandering the streets. We also stopped by "Plaza Vea", which is the Peruvian super walmart.


Last night, when I got home my host Mom asked if I wanted to take a ride with her and my little host brother to Chosica to get things to prepare for my host sister's surprise birthday today. So I went along. We ran a bunch of errands and she took out to dinner for the most gigantic chicken I have ever seen. It was delicious!!! We also picked up 2 gigantic cakes along the way, so with those and all the bags we had I was dreading riding the combi home because it's just my luck with how clumsy I am that I would drop one of those cakes. Fortunately we took a taxi, however it was difficult to get one, because our neighborhood is in the hills, and many of the taxi's did not want to drive up here.


We dropped the stuff off for the party at her Mom's house which is a street over. Her nephew was there and he is 4 and his name is Pietre. But they call him Michael Jackson because he likes to dance. So they all hummed "Beat it" for me and he did some moonwalking and break dancing for me...until he hit his head on a chair trying to bust a move. It was cute! He was very concerned whether or not I had a boyfriend or was married, I think he was trying to hit on me!


I'm really looking forward to Camillas surprise birthday party tonight with her friends. I think there will be a lot of dancing and good salsa music. I'm hoping I can learn some latin dancing!!! I'll try and take lots of pictures and post them!
I posted a little video below of my friend Kati singing to Alicia Keys that was playing on the Combi...I'm not sure why it's sideways?!?!?


Everyone have a great weekend!


No comments: