Tuesday, November 30, 2010

WELCOME HOME...PIURA

We arrived in Piura city on Sunday morning. Sunday we went and ran errands, went to the market to check stuff out and change our cell phones and all that little stuff. Mostly we relaxed from an intense few days with the swearing in and traveling. We got to enjoy hot showers and comfy beds and a little TV in English. Monday afternoon we traveled to our sites. I REALLY lucked out because our regional director decided to drive us down into the valley in his SUV. Now if you could see the ridiculous amount of stuff I had and this GIANT suitcase that most people laughed at when they saw it, then you would understand the relief I had knowing that I was not going to have to ask to have that transferred between 2 buses and a taxi to get from Piura to Chipillico.

The sad part about of regional director driving us to the valley was that he was really going to deliver some not so good news to two of the communities we were to be working in. In the week after our site visits, one of my friends who was living in the valley with me decided to return to the US, she just decided this wasn’t for her. I was pretty devastated about it, I had become very close with her and was really looking forward to spending the next 2 years with her, but if anyone knows how difficult this is, we do…and I understand if it just isn’t the right time or whatever other reasons. Then, on Monday before we left, another friend of mine decided she needed to go back home too, so that was pretty devastating. Our littler group of 4 living in the valley has become 2, it’s me and BJ (or I have to start calling him William now because his community can’t say BJ). Just like mine can’t say Jillian, I am called Yillian, and have been told it would be best if I spell my name that way here too.

On our journey to our sites we first stopped in the first volunteers who left town, we had a brief meeting with her community explaining what had happened and introducing BJ and I as the new volunteers who would be there to help and support that community. The funny thing is, is that this community had requested a volunteer because the other half of the community had one in the past, and although they are the same community, they divide themselves into two parts and are EXTREMELY competitive with one another. So the first question they asked when given the opportunity was if the other community still had a volunteer, and when the answer was no they were all so happy. It was really funny to watch.

Then we went to my new house. I was very relived when I got here to find that my room now has a cement floor, so that was a big relief. However, I didn’t have a bed so we had arranged for me to borrow one from a neighbor of the previous volunteer until I can get one in 2 weeks. Also, I was really really excited to find that the family had laid a cement floor in the area when I am showering. I was thrilled because before there was just a small broken cement slab and mostly dirt and rocks. I hadn’t asked for that but was really relieved to see it.

My host sisters helped me hang all of my pictures and unpack a little. I still have to buy a dresser and a desk and other things to complete my room, so for the next few weeks I am living our of my suitcases. The really awkward part was that pretty much everything I pulled out of my bags they asked me how much it cost. Even down to the new light bulb I put in my room, because the previous was so terrible. They were fascinated by it and how much it lights things up. So I think when I return to Piura I am going to buy then a few for the house, because the very soft yellow light everywhere is annoying.

Well after all of that was done I went to read and relax for a little in my room, well at some point I feel asleep and it was when dinner was ready. So instead of knocking on my door, I wake up to the youngest sister hovering over top of me not saying a thing. It scared me to death!!! So locking my door is definitely a habit I am going to get into. Fried bananas and avocado and rice of course. It was really good!!

This morning I got up around 6:30, and decided to go for a walk. It was a little intimidating, because pretty much as soon as I walked out of my door people are staring at me. I was thinking that since there were two volunteers here before me that maybe it wouldn’t be so shocking to see a gringa, but apparently that is not true. Everywhere I went I was stared at and the men would make cat calls. They aren’t ballsy enough to do it to your face, just behind your back. I said good morning to everyone except the nasty creepy men. But I refuse to let that stuff scare me, I know this first day would be tough but I had decided to go for it anyway. This is my new home for the next 2 years and I figured I’d just go out there and do my thing. Plus, during the walk I go through the beautiful fields and it is definitely a reminder of how lucky I am to be here. I also live in the valley of Mangos, it’s just beautiful!

When I got back I got to take a shower….I got out to my little space for showering that has the giant trashcan of water and I was looking at brown water. I know it’s taken from the canal, but it’s just hard sometimes to come to grips with the fact that I am supposed to feel clean after bathing with that. But I did. And to answer the question as to whether or not I will ever feel clean here, the answer is NO. I will look forward to the weekends I get to spend in Piura city and those hot showers!

I also found out today that my host Dad is having stomach problems and he and my host Mom left early this morning to go to Ecuador to have him checked out. That is about all I could get out of that, I am not so sure why Ecuador, it is very close, but there are plenty of medical places here. I will just have to ask those questions later.

Well I’m off to explore for a little bit. Sorry these blog posts don’t have pictures the internet is REALLY slow here and it would take hours probably to put up a few, so they will have to wait until I get back to the city.

No comments: