Saturday, October 2, 2010

Where is Starbucks????

So, no Starbucks in Chaclacayo, but we have discovered a local coffee shop. The whole idea of coffee is very different here then in the states. In the US, I would go into a coffee shop and get to choose from a million different flavors and types and sizes and milks and whatever else and get it in my to go cup and move along with the rest of my day. Here....coffee comes two ways...black or with milk. I've also noticed that coffee is more of a social thing here, we order our coffee, and it usually takes 15-20 min to prepare and we get it in a nice little mug on a saucer and drink it at a table in the restaurant. There isn't any quick on the go coffee cups! But it's actually really nice to sit down and chat with friends over a cup of coffee, I really enjoy it! But I do miss having a coffee in the morning, the coffee shop doesn't open until lunch time.

Friday for language class I had to go to Chosica and preform more interviews. These were a little more interesting, but a little more difficult. Basically I had to go around town and ask random people when they wash their hands, and what methods of contraceptives they use. So it was a little intimidating to ask complete strangers in my very broken Spanish if they prefer the "rhythm method" of contraception. This is all in preparation for when I go to my site, I do understand that because those questions will be much more uncomfortable, so it's learning, it's just funny!


Today, after spending a few hours around the breakfast table with my host family talking. Which was great, I'm getting excited how much better I am getting at my conversational skills, they decided that today was the day that we would go and try ceviche. Ceviche is a dish traditional to Peru, it is raw fished that is cooked only in a lemon juice. Since I don't like fish or sushi, I was concerned about this. We also talk about ceviche almost every day in training and were warned that is may be a difficult on our stomachs. However in my host families training they were told they could give it to us in Week 3, so today being the first day of week 3, we went for ceviche.

Surprisingly, it was really good. I actually really liked it! I am surprised almost everyday at all the foods I'm trying and really enjoying. I wish I would have known that I liked more of this stuff before!!

So tonight I went back to Chosica with some friends to shop around and hang out, we found a great little pizza place, although the pizza is REALLY different, it was pretty good! It was just nice to have a meal that didn't involve ANY rice!!! When I got back, I played cards with my host brother and sister. The taught me some really fun card games, and at first I sucked and they made fun of me, but towards the end I was doing much better. I think Cesar cheats so I gotta stay on that kid!

Tomorrow we are going to climb this mountain in the neighborhood and at the top there is a cross in sort of a little hut. I am really excited, look forward to some awesome pictures!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok of all the things that stood out in your post..."I went with friends"...not that I didn't believe you would make LOTS of friends..I just think it is great you have been gone a short time and write about doing things with friends! You are gonna havesuch a great time...keep enjoying them AND keep sharing. I check back every day :) Kellie